Glenn A Knight

Glenn A Knight
In my study

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Reading List: January 2011

In January, 2011, I was reading the following books:

The Holy Bible, New International Version
The Holy Bible, New King James Version
The Vampire Archives, edited by Otto Penzler
The Legions of Fire, by David Drake
The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
The Koran for Dummies, by Sohaib Sultan
In the Stormy Red Sky, by David Drake
Dark Voyage, by Alan Furst
Storm Prey, by John Sandford

I note that my so-called Current Reading list includes some books I had finished before December 31, 2010. I will be deleting those books from the list today.

Three of the books listed above were completed in January, 2011, and they will not stay on the Current Reading list for very long. Only until the next update, based on my notes for February, 2011.

For those of you who know my skeptical bent, it may seem odd that I was reading four books centered on religion. In 2011, instead of The NIV Study Bible I'd been reading since 2007, I read two copies of the Bible, one in the New International Version transalation, and one in what is called the New King James Version. The Koran for Dummies is the worst-written Dummies book I've ever read, but it contains a lot of good information on how Muslims read, interpret, and use the Koran. While religion is a key theme in The Poisonwood Bible, it is more about the plight of Americans thrust into strange circumstances in the Third World, than about religious belief per se.

1 comment:

Glenn Knight said...

I just picked up on the fact that my Current Reading list also includes two books that were not in my January 2011 reading list: That Old Cape Magic and Germinal. On the one hand, I started That Old Cape Magic, by Richard Russo, in the fall of 2010, and then returned it to the library. I picked up a copy later, and I finished reading it in March, 2011. Germinal I started in 2004, and I'm still reading it. On that, there may be more later.