Glenn A Knight

Glenn A Knight
In my study

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Quicken Acquires Mint.com - A New Model?

Here's the startling statement from this column by Daniel Gross:

"Yesterday [September 17] , at a panel I moderated in San Francisco, Donna Wells, Mint.com's chief marketing officer, stunned a room full of digital marketing pros by noting that she really didn't have much of a marketing budget. Mint.com has gone from zero to 1.5 million users in two years with no ad campaign, save a mid-five-figures sum spent on search engine terms."

Mint.com's strategy reminds me of my days as an impecunious college student at Macalester, when I parlayed free tickets and complementary passes, into a series of dates with a girl at no cost to me. Is there another revolution going on?

No comments: