Glenn A Knight

Glenn A Knight
In my study

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Knight's Castle as a Literary Resource

For one reason and another, I haven't posted anything much in the way of personal musings or opinion lately, with the exception of a short comment on the rather sudden appearance of the Philistines in the book of Judges. But there has been quite a bit of material posted to Knight's Castle.

For one thing, Lloyd Smith and I have posted quite a number of book reviews. More of these have been about the Middle East and the war in Iraq, than any other single topic, but there have been reviews of several works of fiction and one book on neurology and music. Lloyd has most recently posted a review of Fiasco by Thomas Ricks. This is a very good review of an excellent book. (I commented on Fiasco in one of my reading lists from the summer of 2007.) We would appreciate comments on these reviews from those who have also read these books, as well as from those who may have read other books on the same subjects, or have other reasons for commenting.

I have posted several lists now from the Foreign Affairs bestseller lists. I find these an excellent resource for finding good books in international relations and foreign policy. Several of the books I have reviewed lately appeared on the Foreign Affairs lists, and I am planning to continue seeking out books from those lists to read and review.

The Economist magazine publishes an annual list of best books of the preceding year, and I have been posting sections of that list here. So far, I have posted five lists: Politics and current affairs; Economics and business; History; Biography; Science and technology. I will publish the remaining two shortly.

Since I started this blog, I have published twenty-two posts on my monthly reading lists. These begin with January 2007 and run through October 2008. I will be publishing my lists for November and December of 2008 shortly. Because I have been publishing reviews of books I've been reading, I think the reading lists may take a somewhat different form beginning with January 2009.

In all, aside from whatever value it might have as a forum for the discussion of political, economic, philosophical and other questions, I hope that you find Knight's Castle a valuable resource for informing you of interesting and useful books. As always, your comments and suggestions for improving this blog are welcomed.

No comments: