Glenn A Knight

Glenn A Knight
In my study

Friday, April 24, 2009

Would another speech on torture count as torture?

John Dickerson is one of my favorite journalists. He frequently appears on Washington Week in Review, on PBS. (No, that doesn't mean I'm a member of the Communist Party!) In this column, Dickerson argues that Obama may need to made a speech on the torture issue and, in particular, on what his administration plans to do going forward, in order to get people on track.

As I see it, the problem is that any attention to the torture issue, which is, after all, the Bush administration's issue, is already off the track. Paying more attention to it simply keeps us on this siding that much longer, when we need to be catching the express to economic recovery. There's an old Hank Snow train song called "I'm Movin' On." I think Mr. Obama wants that to be his theme song as far as the Bush administration's misdeeds are concerned.

No comments: