Glenn A Knight

Glenn A Knight
In my study

Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Bible on the Ground

I have a book called A Traveller in Rome, by H. V. Morton. It is a very good travel book, first published in 1957. (I have a 2002 paperback reprint from Da Capo Press.) There are two other Morton travel books I would like to have: In the Steps of St. Paul and In the Steps of the Master.

I was reminded of these today when I ran across and article in Slate by David Plotz. This link http://www.slate.com/id/2181864/entry/2181865/ is to the first of the series of articles on travelling around Israel finding Biblical sites. The one I first read today was the fifth in the series, and it was about day spent finding sites associated with Jesus. In particular, there is a nice account of Plotz' visit to Capernaum, "Jesus' own town."

I took a lot of photographs, mostly in the form of slides, when we lived and travelled in Turkey. At some point I took a selection of them, featuring sites mentioned in the book of Acts or otherwise of interest to Christians, and assembled a slide show for a Biblical tour of Turkey. (Not only are a lot of New Testament sites in what is now Turkey, but my personal choice for the location of the Garden of Eden is along the road between Malatya and Elazig, a path I travelled a number of times.)

I am reading the Bible, and, as always when reading a book with included maps, I'm checking out the maps as I go. I am also reading James L. Kugel's very good book How to Read the Bible, which I am beginning to think is a "must-read" for anyone interested in biblical history. And I think David Plotz' series in Slate is a nice addition to the literature of "walking the Bible."

By the way, I think I've heard of a book or TV series, or both, called "Walking the Bible." Comments from anyone familiar with this material would be welcomed.

No comments: